3/21/11

Ghillie Comparisons

I have always been very proud of my second ghillie suit... But my first ghillie suit hardly earns a mention. I decided to finally offer picture proof of my improvement.
 On the right is the second suit, and the left is the first suit. The jute is far too dark green, and with a blue tinge to it. In an attempt to resurrect the first suit years ago after it was created, I tied a large quantity of jute to it, without bothering to dye it, or separate the strands. As a result, the suit actually looked worse.
Here is a meager trial against the closest bit of local vegetation. The first suit is too dark and blue, while the second looks more appropriate. Click on the pictures for bigger ones, as always.

The second suit is more military style, with garnish only on the arms, back and hood. The first suit is a hunter style suit, including garnish on the front, back, arms and hood. It should be noted that the hood of the first ghillie is a true hood, and is not attached to a hat. Because of this, it is incredibly difficult to keep the hood on. A Flecktarn uniform was used for Ghillie v1.0, which would usually have been a good base. Unfortunately, my poor attempt at ghillie-making erased any edge the pattern could have provided. An ill-conceived mud bath also added to the intense weight of the first suit. It does not include pants, but weighs nearly twice as much as my second suit. For in-use pictures of the newest ghillie, click here. I generally keep the old ghillie hidden away in my garage, so if you are in the market for a cheaper ghillie, drop me a line in the comments, with contact info.

3/20/11

Maverick Paintjob

Way too much Fallout 3 makes you want to paint things like they have been through a nuclear war. I had painted this Mav OD green months ago, keeping the slide and grip more or less normal, and making the cylinder completely black. The barrel was also painted black. The other night a friend was talking about playing a Zombies Vs. Humans game, with nerfs, so I went out to the garage and went to work. It's my first attempt at weathering, but it gets the job done. If you have ideas for how to do better, or what to name it, let me know in the comments.

3/19/11

Camo Tests - M81 Woodland, Truspec Tiger Stripe, Multicam

Today was a bit slow, so I decided to make a run to my local Army Surplus store. "Local" is a bit of a lie, I probably drove about 40 miles one way. I have had an itch for Tiger Stripe camo for a few months now, and decided to finally fulfill that desire. I was also in the market for Multicam, as well as ACU-authorized combat boots. I wanted everything cut like BDUs, rather than ACU style. I ended up driving back home with a lead on some boots (If anyone has suggestions, please leave them in the comments), a full set of Tru-Spec 100% Cotton Tiger Stripe BDUs, and a Tru-Spec Multicam shirt. When I got home, I went for a walk, bringing my BDUs, as well as a camera.
Left is a surplus Woodland BDU jacket, middle is the Tiger Stripe, and Multicam is on the left. I live in a pine forest, and these pictures were taken about an hour before sundown in mid spring. This is by no means a professional test, but for the casual airsofter it will serve just fine. At five feet, the Tiger Stripe is the least noticeable of the bunch.

 About five paces away, the Multicam appears too light, Woodland is holding it's own, and the tiger stripe is still in the lead.
A few more paces back, the same is true. The woodland pattern works very well in this area. The tan in it seems to be out of place during the spring, but as a more all-season pattern it works well. Looking at these pictures after the fact, it seems like I should use more than one test location for a more legitimate study. The tiger stripe has the same coloration as the woodland BDUs, however the tan is only used sparingly, to contrast the black stripes. This dark pattern fits wonderfully with the dark tree behind it. The multicam appears out of place. From the end of summer to the winter, it would blend nicely with the dead foliage. 
This last shot is from 80-100 feet away. The tiger stripe is invisible, the woodland is barely noticable, and the multicam remains too light. My next skirmish will definitely be in my new tiger stripe BDUs.